Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bombay Meri Jaan

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Bombay – a city that is often compared to New York; it is looked upon as the nerve center of India. On one hand, you have the most mesmerizing structures that were built centuries ago, and on the other you have an urban jungle that is built on greed and chaos. My visit this winter was a whirlwind, but I did notice a few things that disappointed me – the dug up roads, the pollution, the poverty. All of these have always existed in Bombay, but the level to which it had escalated was terrifying. I wondered, how long can it take this kind of abuse? There is so much positive press about India – we are a country of a billion people, but it is these people that live in conditions that are un-acceptable and basic requirements like water, cleanliness & clean air to breath are difficult to come by. We have a lot of potential, but no infra-structure in place to take it to the next level. With greed and corruption all around how will Bombay / India succeed. I see a beautiful country with so much, and yet depleting itself bit by bit till nothing will be left. I hope we can change this course and give some respect to our city – Bombay !

Note: The pictures were actually taken as I was driving from Bombay to Pune and in Sinhagad Fort - but I felt they depicted a piece of life in India that we see in Bombay as well.

4 comments:

Raj said...

My sentiments exactly and the pictures say it very nicely too.

"Lady Namu" said...

you know, i've had so many discussions with all my friends and family members about this same exact point - how can we claim we have come a long way when the majority of our population has no basic amenities and no education? its deplorable! I find i am always in the minority when I voice such an opinion. everyone in India thinks that real progress has been made, but when I see pictures such as these, its depressing!

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such articles. I like to read blogs like that. By the way add some pics :)

Alefiyah said...

Thanks Raj :)

Namu: we must pick up this discussion live.

Anonymous:I have pictures with every blog post - does it not show up when you view?